This post may contain affiliate links.

Can A Felon Vote In Alabama?

This page is not a substitute for legal advice.

Can A Felon Vote In Alabama?

Individuals convicted of a felony are still eligible to vote unless they are convicted of a certain class of felony charges — “crimes moral turpitude” — who are ineligible to vote while in prison, on parole, or on probation. Voting rights restoration is dependent on the type of conviction: some individuals may apply to have their voting rights restored immediately after completing their full sentence, but those convicted of certain felony offenses–such as murder, rape, incest, sexual crimes against children, and treason–are not eligible for re-enfranchisement. However, if convicted of a felony that does not involve “moral turpitude”, then the individual does not lose their right to vote.
Specific offenses that are considered to be crimes of moral turpitude (CMT) are –
Voluntary manslaughter
Involuntary manslaughter, in some instances
Spousal abuse
Child Abuse
Aggravated assault
Animal fighting

Felon Voting Rights Alabama

Felon voting rights in Alabama changed after a new law was passed in 2017 defined a list of 46 crimes that result in loss of voting rights. If you have not been convicted of one of these crimes, then you do not need restoration because you are still eligible to vote.
You can restore your voting rights as long as you aren’t convicted of the one of the following:
Sodomy (any degree)
Sexual abuse (any degree)
Sexual torture
Parents/guardians permitting children to engage in obscene matter
Production of obscene matter involving a minor
Production or possession of obscene matter
Possession with intent to distribute child pornography
Enticing a child to enter a vehicle for immoral purposes
Soliciting a child by computer
If you you are convicted of one of those then you can only apply to restore your voting rights IF you are granted a full pardon by the Board of Pardons and Paroles.
Treason and Impeachment are not pardonable offenses.
If you have not been convicted of one of the above and been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude, including but not limited to one of the following:
Theft of property (1st and 2nd degree)
Burglary (1st and 2nd degree)
Robbery (1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree)
Forgery (1st and 2nd degree)
Learn how to apply to restore your voting rights.
Then you will need to apply to restore your voting rights. This is not a complete list.
Check here for a complete list –>
If you have not been convicted of a prohibitive felony or a crime of moral turpitude, or if you were determined to be a youthful offender at the time of your conviction, then you have NEVER lost your voting rights. That includes but is not limited to convictions for the following:
Felony DUIs
Driving while suspended
Possession of a controlled substance for personal use
Possession of marijuana for personal use
Fraudulent use of a credit card
Receiving stolen property
Domestic violence
Attempted murder
Obstructing justice with a false identity
Indecent exposure
If you are currently incarcerated for one of these offenses, you can still vote. See the Sheriff or Warden to obtain a voter registration card or an absentee ballot.

How Can A Felon in Alabama Restore Their Voting Rights

If you read the above information and have determined that you should be able to vote now, then get legal advice to make sure your determination is correct.
To register to vote, update your registration information for a change of name or address, find your polling place, and learn about voter ID requirements, visit
More Resources For Felons In Alabama
Where To Start – If you’re new to our site, then you should definitely checkout our Getting Started For Felons page that will give you the BEST help to dominate life in Alabama as a felon. Click here to get started
Jobs For Felons – Looking for a job in Alabama? We have what you need to find a job as a felon. Click here to find jobs for felons
Background Check – You can get a background check to see what your record currently shows about your felony. Click here to get a background check
Legal Representation – If you’re a felon in Alabama and need legal representation to get a felony expunged or any other help from a lawyer then you can get a FREE consultation. Click here to get legal representation

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on email

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top